The provision under Section 498A of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) was made with the intention of protecting women who have been victims of abuse or cruelty by their husband or family members of the husband. However, this cure for the woman has been misused and is the cause behind the increase in false allegations against the husband and their families. Meanwhile, the husband also has the right to file a counter case against such false allegations with the help of a divorce lawyer.

Prior to discussing your options and the process of filing a counterclaim against false section 498A of the Indian Penal Code, let’s take a brief look at the clause.

According to Section 498A of the IPC, a woman who experiences cruelty at the hands of her husband or his family faces a minimum sentence of three years in prison and a fine. It appears that this section establishes a substantive provision enabling the woman to bring a lawsuit against her parents or husband in the event that she is subjected to cruelty.

Under what provisions can a counter case against 498A be filed?

1.A case of conspiracy can be filed by the husband under section 120B of IPC if he finds the wife to be conspiring any crime against him.

2.A counter case can be filed under section 191 of IPC alleging that you are wrongfully being framed by false evidence or any evidence is used against you by your wife.

3.The reputation of an individual in society is of utmost importance. Thus ,if a wife threatens to defame or malign your or family members’ image by falsely accusing them then you can file a counter case of defamation under section 500 of IPC.

4.You can also file a counter case against your wife under section 506 of IPC if she threatens to cause harm to you or any of your family members.

5.If you find and realize that a false case under Section 498A has already been registered against you by your wife, then you can file a counter case against her under section 227 of IPC stating that the case registered is bogus.

6.A damage recovery case can be filed under section 9 of the Code of Civil Procedure against your wife if she breaks into your house and creates a scene of falsely alleging that she has been abused physically or emotionally.

How to defend 498A case?

The following are remedies available that you can seek to protect yourself against the false case of 498A of IPC-

*Gathering all the evidence and documents– The first and foremost thing you can do is start assembling all the evidence along with the substantial materials with respect to the case under Section 498A of IPC. Evidence and documents can include recorded conversations between family members or you with your wife, text messages, emails, letters, video recordings, etc. Evidence pertaining to wife wilfully moving out of the house as well as evidence to prove that no demands for dowry have been made.

*Get anticipatory bail- If you anticipate that a false case under Section 498A of IPC can be filed against you then hire a criminal lawyer to file and get anticipatory bail for protecting yourself as well as your family members.

*Filing case under section 482 of Code of Criminal Procedure – The false case under Section 498A can be quashed by the High Court under section 482 of the Code of Criminal Procedure if you provide sufficient proof and satisfy the court that the allegations are bogus and false.

*File defamation case- As mentioned above you can file a case of blackmailing and defaming you or your family members by filing an FIR against your wife. Get a good criminal lawyer to draft the complaint and register it with the police by stating strong grounds of false allegations made against you by your wife.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This field is required.

This field is required.


The following disclaimer governs the use of this website (“Website”) and the services provided by the Law offices of Kr. Vivek Tanwar Advocate & Associates in accordance with the laws of India. By accessing or using this Website, you acknowledge and agree to the terms and conditions stated in this disclaimer.

The information provided on this Website is for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice or relied upon as such. The content of this Website is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Firm. Any reliance on the information provided on this Website is done at your own risk.

The Law Firm makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, completeness, reliability, or suitability of the information contained on this Website.

The Law Firm disclaims all liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this Website or for any actions taken in reliance on the information provided herein. The information contained in this website, should not be construed as an act of solicitation of work or advertisement in any manner.