In India, it is a common practice for the woman to change her last name to her husband’s or husband’s family name after marriage. In order to do this, a few steps need to be followed. In this article, we will discuss the procedure, documents and time taken to change the name after marriage.

There are two ways how this can be accomplished:

*Notarized Affidavit.

*Gazette Publication.

1. Notarized Affidavit

Step 1: File a joint affidavit with a declaration of marriage. This affidavit should include details such as your maiden name, proposed new name, husband’s name, and address.

Step 2: Print the affidavit on an INR 10 stamp paper and have it duly signed by husband and wife

Step 3: Attach the marriage certificate and passport-sized photographs of husband and wife to the signed affidavit

Step 4: Visit a notary to notarize the affidavit. This procedure will incur a legal fee.  

Step 5: Publish an advertisement about the name change in two local newspapers/dailies.

Procedure to change the name on official documents:

It is advisable to change your name in the following documents as well:

*PAN Card



*Driving License

Following are the steps to change the name in the above-mentioned documents:

1. PAN Card:  Submit an application with a duplicate of the marriage certificate or the gazette affidavit as a confirmation of the name change to the Income Tax Pan Service Unit

2. Passport: Apply for a new passport along with the old passport, marriage certificate, copy of the husband’s passport, and other details to change the name in the passport.

3. Banks: Update your bank account with the new name. Attach the affidavit or the marriage certificate as a supporting document to prove the reason for your name change.

4. Driving License: Submit an application with the marriage certificate, form LLD, form 1, address proof, original driving license, ID proof and the processing fee to the RTO for further processing.

Changing Name in Bank Statements-

You can either go into the bank and request the change, or you can do it online. To change your name on your bank statements online, you will need to login to your account and update your personal information. Once you have updated your information, the new name will appear on your next statement.

If you have any joint accounts with your spouse, you will also need to update these accounts with the new name. You can usually do this by going into the bank and requesting the change, or by calling customer service and making the request over the phone.

2. Gazette Publication

Step 1: Submit a written application with a copy of the marriage certificate and address proof to the Gazette department requesting name change due to marriage.

Step 2: Send the supporting documents to the relevant department for proof by registered post.

Step 3: Request the department to publish the same in the next issue of the Gazette.

Step 4: A Gazette notification will be delivered to your address by registered post within 15 to 20 working days. This can be used as proof of your name change.

Step 5: Publish an advertisement about the name change in two local newspapers/dailies. A sample for the same has been provided below.

Changing your name after marriage can become a very tedious process. This requires one to understand the legal procedure, as well as pay multiple visits to various government offices, which can become very cumbersome.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This field is required.

This field is required.


The following disclaimer governs the use of this website (“Website”) and the services provided by the Law offices of Kr. Vivek Tanwar Advocate & Associates in accordance with the laws of India. By accessing or using this Website, you acknowledge and agree to the terms and conditions stated in this disclaimer.

The information provided on this Website is for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice or relied upon as such. The content of this Website is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Firm. Any reliance on the information provided on this Website is done at your own risk.

The Law Firm makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, completeness, reliability, or suitability of the information contained on this Website.

The Law Firm disclaims all liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this Website or for any actions taken in reliance on the information provided herein. The information contained in this website, should not be construed as an act of solicitation of work or advertisement in any manner.